Doug Essinger-Hileman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:01:27 -0400
Nathan Brindle said:

> You do know that if a large message comes in and the Size(xxx) setting
> is exceeded, a so-called "special edition" digest is immediately cut,
> including the large message in its entirety?  Size(xxx) is only a
> trigger point, it does not specify the largest digest that the server
> will ever send.  The digest will be as large as it has to be to
> accomodate the message that triggered the cut.  I'm pretty sure  -- in
> fact I am certain -- this is documented.

I am sorry, Nathan, that I wasn't more specific. (But I will plead that I
am stranded on the road because my car broke down, have had to spend two
nights in a motel in a town that is the pits, and have access only through
a public computer.)
Yes, I know all of those things. And the digest has been working in that
fashion for several years now -- until recently.
> I mean, you're not saying that it's, say, 2000 lines where none of the
> individual messages it contains is over (for instance) 50 or 100
> lines.  The behaviour you have so far described simply sounds like you
> are handling some significantly larger messages (possibly
> multipart/alternative where someone's specified some big GIF as a
> background?).  If that's not the case then you need to be more specific
> about what the digest actually contains.

The digest triggered last night at midnight, as usual. It was 593 lines
(the size had been set to 500 to see if resetting the size would change
anything). The last post pushed it to this size, and it triggered
appropriately.
The current digest is approaching 2600 lines. The last two posts are 17
lines and 14 lines. I, and a fellow admin, have looked at those posts, and
there are no multi-part/alternative nor GIF background issues. The digest
is still accumulating.
Doug