Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 7 Feb 88 18:50:00 SET
I realize  that I have  omitted an important point  in my presentation  of the
network-wide 'List-ID'  feature. By  default, all lists  are considered  to be
network-wide lists whose addresses ought  to be communicated to other servers.
Only confidential lists are "kept secret".

You probably have a lot of local lists on your server which are of no interest
to  the network.  For example,  you might  have a  list of  the people  in the
systems group, a list of all the teachers of this or that department, etc. You
probably didn't  consider these  lists as being  "confidential", and  thus you
didn't flag them as  such. However, this means that they  will be entered into
GLOBLIST FILE and that people from everywhere  in the world will try to signup
to them.  This will increase  the size of the  LIST GLOBAL command  output and
also the  disk space required by  GLOBLIST FILE. Thus you  should change these
lists to:

         Confidential= Service Service= Local

This will have the  side effect of not preventing them from  showing up on the
output of a "LIST" command if the sender  is not in the service area. That is,
your local  users will not  be affected, but remote  users will not  "see" the
list and will consequently  not try to subscribe to it.  This change should be
made before you install 1.5n, ie NOW :-)

A new  keyword will  be introduced in  release 1.5n:  "Daily-Threshold", which
will default to  50. It indicates the maximum number  of acceptable mailings a
day for the list;  if more than this amount is received in  any given day, the
list  will be  placed in  hold  status and  the  owner will  be notified.  The
"counter" will then  be reset so that  a "FREE" command will  release the list
and let  in up to  Daily-Threshold additional  mailings. The list  will remain
held until manually  released (ie it won't be reset  at midnight). This should
prevent loops from going on forever. If you are not satisfied with the default
value, you should be sure to change it before installing release 1.5n.

I have  other new features to  announce but I'll  make it a different  note to
make database searches on the subject easier.

  Eric