Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Nov 1992 19:16:26 +0100
On Tue, 17 Nov 1992 13:12:00 EST "Bill Verity (814) 865-4758" <WHV@PSUVM>
said:

>At any rate ... I have two questions.

I took the liberty of answering them in the opposite order.

>2. Wouldn't  if be possible to  LISTSERV to detect this  immediately. It
>thinks it is sending to a BITNET node  but it isn't in any tables. Can I
>set a switch to request that listserv not send anything to a bitnet node
>that doesn't exist. I suppose this might cause some premature rejections
>around the time when routing tables change.

LISTSERV doesn't trust its copy of BITEARN NODES, because, human laziness
being what it is, the majority of servers have an outdated version. While
the  monthly messages  on NODMGT-L  have helped  a lot  with outrageously
outdated sites, this is exactly how many of the servers get updated: once
every 6 months when it starts  looking too outrageous. The reason is that
there is no  clear documentation on the UPDNODES process  that I know of,
plus some people find  it too complicated to run, so they  just get a new
BITEARN NODES twice a year.

It wouldn't help  much if LISTSERV didn't send out  the files, because it
would presumably  send a  nastygram to the  postmaster instead.  When the
files  are  sent,  they bounce  back  and  a  nastygram  is sent  to  the
postmaster anyway :-)

>1. Once  I'm aware  of messages  coming from  such a  node, can  I alert
>LISTSERV to reject them  and send them to me. I'd like  to try to figure
>out where it  is coming from and  send them a note  suggesting that they
>correct their mail configuration.

You can  add '*@IRIS' to the  TRAPIN variable. For the  reasons mentioned
above I do  not want to trap  incoming commands just on the  basis of not
being defined in BITEARN NODES.

  Eric