James Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:18:09 +1000
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this is possible.

Firstly (this one is easy, I think):

I would like to have a list where one group of subscribers can only
receive mail, ie they can't post to the list and another group of
subscribers post BUT NOT receive mail.

Basically this is an ANNOUNCE list where announcements can only be made
by a large group (in effect another list.)

In the Admin interface for security the "SEND" keyword has, underneath
its field "otherlist" implying that I can set "Send = otherlist.xx.yy"
where otherlist is another LISTSERV list.

However, the documentation does not mention this as a possibility.

Secondly (this seems harder):

I would need to update the membership of this list every night.

There would actually be some 1500 lists that would need updating.

I had thought of simply replacing the .list files at a file system
level but have read that they have to be replaced via the PUT
mechanism. Is this really the case?

In case you are wondering, the lists in question are course and subject
lists for a university.
The list capable of posting to these lists, is a list consisting of all
staff in the university.
The solution being sought is a way to retain the announce only quality
of the course/subject lists but stop their abuse by students.
The nightly update comes from the human resources system, for the staff
list, and from the student record system, for all the other lists. This
is to ensure that only those actually enrolled or on payroll are
included.

James

_
James Hale                       <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
IT Manager, ArtsIT, Faculty of Arts                        Tel: (834)48196
<http://www.arts.unimelb.edu.au/~jhale>
_