Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 09:19:39 +0100
On Wed, 23 Nov 1994 01:21:46 EST Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]> said:

>In the  DOMAIN OVERRIDE file  used by the  LSV$DNT exit, is  the leading
>period on the domain name required?

I would have to see the code  to be able to answer that question. LSV$DNT
is an installation exit, supplied by  the customer. The exit you refer to
is just  someone's implementation of  a LSV$DNT exit,  and in fact  I had
never seen it before :-) To avoid confusions:

- LMail does  have a file called  DOMAIN OVERRIDE, which is  supported by
  the standard code,  with or without exit. This  because nearly everyone
  has to make routing adjustments for local domains in a MTA.

- LISTSERV  doesn't have  a DOMAIN  OVERRIDE unless  implemented by  your
  LSV$DNT exit.  The domains listed  in the LOCAL  configuration variable
  are automatically  routed locally, which is  usually sufficient insofar
  as adjustments  for specific domains  are concerned. For  bulk changes,
  you have to use  the exit anyway, since you can't  list all the domains
  present and future in an override file.

>If  it is  required, will  the domain  name without  the period  also be
>matched? If it is not required, will longer domain names ending with the
>specified domain name be matched?

LISTSERV  always  matches  without   the  period.  This  period/no-period
business  doesn't  really make  any  sense,  and  the only  reason  LMail
supports it  is for compatibility with  XMAILER (to avoid loops  and lost
mail). There  is no such  risk with LISTSERV,  so the period  business is
ignored  and LISTSERV  matches  the  entry whether  or  not  a period  is
present.

>Is there  a version of  the exit available  that will force  all domains
>with :interconnect.MX  to the local  SMTP? Here is the  file description
>from the comments in the exit:

I don't  have any,  but maybe  someone has written  one. For  LISTSERV, I
recommend  updating the  INTERBIT  entries only,  to  avoid negating  the
benefits of DISTRIBUTE. For MAILER, it could  be a good idea to route all
Internet traffic to SMTP.

  Eric