John B Harlan <JBHARLAN@IUBACS>
Fri, 2 Jun 89 00:10:00 EST

     I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for a question from
a nontechnical subscriber to this list, but as a list owner, I've recently
received a spate of inquiries from my subscribers asking how one goes
about starting a new list.  I've inquired (unsuccessfully) to a few folks
about whether or not documentation exists anywhere to provide the prospective
list owner with suggested guidelines/procedures to follow in starting a new
list.  I've answered each inquiry, trying to stress the importance of (a)
a well-developed topic and target audience, (b) a "list search" inquiry
posting to New-List (to which this message should perhaps be cross posted,
though I only just thought of that :-), and (c) a "new list" posting to
New-List.  As for any set procedure for recruiting host and peer ListServ
sites, I have no idea.  Anyone have suggestions?  Do others of you receive
similar inquiries, and if so, how do you respond to them?