Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:15:21 EDT
On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:59:34 EDT A. Harry Williams said:
>On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:13:30 -0400 Mark Kaprow said:
>>Well, Nathan, I see that you understand the issue, but from a customer's
>>point of view, it seems to be a flaw in the way listserv's backbone runs
>>to allow a customer to unilateraly send bad mail to everyone on the
>>backbone.
>
>But I can send bad data to the backbone regardless of whether I run
>Listserv or not.  Does SERVE user OFF work in this situation?
>If so, that's the best bet.

I think in this case you'd have to use IGNORE= (on VM only) or possibly
TRAPIN= in the site configuration.  This would not be caught by SERVE
(and TRAPIN would still bounce a copy to the postmaster, so no purpose
would be served to use it).

Now, at the risk of starting an argument:

On the other hand I really don't see why you couldn't simply filter out
this mail.  It's an annoyance, it's not like it's a security exposure.
Remember that it came to you as an error, so the fact is that we
<are> doing something about it (refusing to accept it and bouncing it
to the postmaster so the postmaster has the option of throwing it away
or doing something about it).  Also remember that LISTSERV on the other
end sent out the mail properly--it is the client's firewall that is rewriting
the "From:" line.  There's not much we can do about that short of what we
are already doing.

Nathan