Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Jul 1993 23:49:56 +0200
On Wed,  14 Jul 1993  14:25:01 EDT "Michael H.  Morse" <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>He has done his homework and talked  to Eric Thomas about the use of the
>term "listserv". He is very open to suggestions for improvement.

Well excuse  me, but this is  bullshit. I have explicitly  asked Tasos to
change the name  of his software and  to remove the sentence  in the help
file that claims it is a  unix implementation of my software (see below).
While I  admit I am not  FTP'ing the software  every day to see  if these
changes have been made, to the best of my knowledge he has always ignored
my request, which sets  him aside as the only person  in the Internet who
refused this  simple courtesy. The EARN  Association, representing 100k's
of  users, made  a  similar request  in a  formal,  written letter;  same
results. Here  is the  quote I  object to,  in addition  to the  name the
software uses to refer to itself  (I understand that Tasos has no control
over what individual sites decide to alias to his daemon):

>LISTSERV is  a system that  was originally  designed by Eric  Thomas for
>BITNET nodes (...) This version is a bitnet-flavored UNIX implementation
>(not a port of the original LISTSERV),

Most people  expect two implementations of  X to be compatible,  with the
possible exception  of a  limited number of  OS-specific functions.  If I
give you a  diskette and tell you it contains  a MS-DOS implementation of
emacs,  which however  is  not a  port  of the  original  code, you  will
probably expect  the controls to  be the same as  the GNU emacs  on unix,
except  that  directories might  have  backslashes.  You certainly  don't
expect to find EDIT on the diskette. If you bought EDIT from me, thinking
it was emacs, and  liked it, the author of emacs  would still have reason
to be angry at me for creating all this confusion. Especially if you then
went around to your friends and  showed them "emacs", and they decided to
stick with Notepad instead.

Now let me tell you why this upsets  me on a personal level. Like Tasos I
have put enormous amounts of time in  this, and because I didn't like the
idea  of turning  into  a marketing  shark  and  had a  good  job with  a
comfortable salary, I  provided the software free of charge  for years. I
will not bore you with all the  unrelated problems that I got as a result
of this  naive decision. But  one of these  problems is that  people like
Tasos and you seem to think they  have a constitutional right and duty to
make me  waste hours every  month trying to  explain to users  that 'unix
listserv' has nothing to do with  LISTSERV, and that the reason "my" unix
implementation of LISTSERV  is not compatible with  the VM implementation
is that they have nothing to do with each other.

Now, if I had started selling LISTSERV when there were enough sites using
it to turn  a serious profit, ie  in 1987, the trademark  would have been
registered since that time. It might conceivably only have made it to the
secondary register,  but even  in that  case, after  5 years  without any
challenge from  a business using the  name for trade, it  would have been
upgraded  to the  primary register.  Today, anyone  using the  name 'unix
listserv' for  a list  manager without  my consent would  be in  the same
situation as someone selling computers under the brand name 'unix Apple'.
But  I wouldn't  need to  worry  about that  or even  type this  message,
because the level of respect for private and corporate property in the US
is such that everyone would find it  perfectly normal that only I can use
the name  'listserv' for list  managers and only  Apple can use  the name
'Apple' for personal computers. But since I was naive enough to decide to
make my efforts freely available, I am now in the situation I am in, with
dozens of people claiming I am  just a megalomaniac fascist who thinks he
owns the letters that make up the word LISTSERV, and adding this to their
list of punch-card jokes, hehe. Note that the fact that the trademark was
not registered when the product was first released doesn't mean it cannot
be registered now. In fact, it  is common practice to register trademarks
in only one country,  and use a trademark under common  law in all others
until you  need to have  your rights enforced.  I didn't try  to register
LISTSERV as a  trademark when Tasos started using the  name because we're
talking $1-2k  if it  goes smoothly  and lots  of talking  to individuals
whose company I do  not really enjoy, but there is  nothing that says you
have to register a trademark initially or never.

Anyway,  now things  are a  lot simpler.  LISTSERV has  finally become  a
product, and  every time an  organization without a mailing  list manager
installs Tasos's software because they thought  it was the same as the VM
LISTSERV, this  is going to constitute  a potential loss of  business for
the  company that  distributes  LISTSERV. Sometimes  the organization  in
question would not be interested in a VM version anyway, so it won't make
much of  a difference. And sometimes  it will be a  corporation with many
IBM mainframes  and the loss  will be genuine (you  can never be  sure of
course,  but you  can make  a  good estimate).  So  this is  no longer  a
personal problem to be dealt with at an emotional level, this is a simple
business problem that  has to be handled as such.  The company that sells
LISTSERV is  not interested in solving  the personal problems I  may have
with various individuals,  however they obviously want to  make sure they
don't lose business because the name is being abused (until Tasos started
using it, and to  the best of my knowledge, the VM  LISTSERV was the only
software that had ever  used that name since 1986, and  there was NO user
confusion). A typical  one-time initial license plus one  year of service
for a corporate  site is around $10k (per machine  running the software).
Now,  $10k is  not worth  getting  angry and  excited about,  but if  the
confusion increases and it turns out, in 6-12 months, that $50k is closer
to the mark,  it will have become a serious  business problem - something
one might  want to spend $10-20k  to fix, with  a good hope of  return on
this  investment within  the  next  year. The  usual  way  to solve  such
problems in the corporate world is to feed a big pile of money to lawyers
to cause them to extract another big pile of money from someone else, and
in this  game the  only party that  ever wins is  the lawyers'  lobby. It
would be sad and unfortunate, but  the logic is inescapable. If you tried
this with  Apple, you'd get a  polite letter first, then  threats, then a
lawyer - and  that's if you're lucky  enough not to get  the lawyer right
away.

The reason  I am so pleased  with the present  setup is that it  puts the
moral responsibility out  of my hands. Neither party has  any interest in
seeing this happen; there is little or nothing the vendor can do to avoid
loss of business due to inaccurate (or at best misleading) claims made by
other people, so  the responsibility is entirely in Tasos's  hands. He is
free to claim  that there is no possibility  for misunderstanding because
he  doesn't  see any,  and  if  that is  true  there  will indeed  be  no
confusion, hence no  loss of business can possibly be  reported and there
will be  no problem. If  on the other hand  it turned out  that confusion
does exist  and the distributor  hears of enough (confirmed)  cases where
business was actually lost to be willing  to flush $20k down the drain to
remove this possibility,  Tasos will have noone but himself  to blame for
anything that might happen.

  Eric