Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:25:01 -0400
At 8:49 PM -0400 4/18/06, Stan Horwitz wrote
>On Apr 18, 2006, at 8:10 PM, Bill Verity wrote:
>
>>These are *JOB* files that listserv has not processed yet. We run 18 smtp helpers on the outgoing queues and that seems to keep up just fine.  We do *not* run spam assassin or any other filters.  As I said, they would just make our input queues worse, in my opinion.  They would save our readers from looking at spam, so we might do this someday.
>>
>>I don't know why this bottleneck happened although the queues have been getting worse over the last several months.  It is interesting, in a good way, that a lot of work flows paste all of these queued jobs.  A "Thanks" message often comes right back, and
>>a lot of list traffic gets through.  Listserv takes a "quick" look at incoming files and tries to prioritize the job queue in some fashion.
>
>Bill, don't you have the option of running your lists with "Confidential= Yes or Local" and/or "Send= Private"?
>
>This is what I do for most of the lists here. As a result, I rarely experience spam being distributed to lists' subscribers.

Stan, good point.  Years ago I noticed that lists that were not confidential got a lot of abuse.  I tend to make a lot of lists Confidential= Service and Service= Local.  Of our 6,000 lists, less than 500 are not confidential.

However, yesterday, we had 19,000 rejects due to "You are not authorized".  This is fairly typical.  Now certainly these were not all spammers, but many were, I think.  There were about 2,000 different list in these "attacks".  300 of them were confidential=yes.  So I suspect infected machines or someone selling harvested address lists.  Nothing we can do about it -- just interesting.

--
Some minds are like concrete: thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)