Chris Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 09:59:19 +0000
On 27 Sep 96 at 20:59, John or Clara Lyon wrote:

> I'm writing in regards to a proposal for someone to 'host' a mailing list
> for me. I hope I do this right since I'm only going by a small message on
> I found on a web page.
>
> I was told to let you know .."I don't usually follow those discussion
> groups" and any replies to me should go to my private address of...
>
> I of course am looking for someone to sponsor a mailing list, actually
> two. My wife and I currently have started two lists for persons associated
> with TBI (Traumatic Brain Injuries). Mine is called CARE-TBI and is for
> caregivers to people with brain injuries. Although this sounds like a list
> for professionals it is for husbands, wifes or other family members who
> have a spouse, child or any other relative with a brain injury.
>
> The other list which is called TBI-LIVING was just started by my wife for
> people with brain injuries. She herself suffered a brain injury in a car
> accident 2 years ago. Although she is not severely impaired now, her
> and my life has been forever changed.
>
> These two lists are currently running from a list provider someone
> suggested to me, but the service has been down for over two weeks and they
> are charging us $60 a month for both lists and we really can't afford it.
> So far there is only about 70 people between both lists and the volume
> doesn't usually exceed 20 messages a day.
>
> Our lists are being provided so those family members and those with brain
> inuries can communicate with each other to exchange infomation, therapies,
> tests and generally give each other help and support.
>
> Brain inuries are a most horrible thing and there are 100's of thousands
> of people in this world with them. My wife and I are dedicated to keeping
> these lists alive since the people who have found them have told us in so
> many words that they have been a "God-send". Most of the thank you letters
> we've received have brought us to tears since we know what they have gone
> though and know how difficult it is to find information and people with
> the same problems.
>
> I am in hopes that someone reading this will feel this is worthy enough to
> host these two lists for us. We are willing to pay or give our help in
> anyway in exchange. If you are interested you can visit my web page at
> http://www.gatecom.com/~jlyon/tbi.html  for a look at TBI and our existing
> mailing lists under the index of "Support Groups"
>
> Thank you ever so much,
>
> John Lyon

Dear John,

I have visited your page (very briefly) and was impressed and feel
that what you are doing is congruent with what I'm doing on the
WWW/Internet.  I am currently using a crude freeware list handler but
it would certainly cope with your level of list.  It doesn't give
digests nor store people's real names (just their Email addresses)
and I will have to work out how to produce a hypermail archive (_IF_
that is what you want, I think it might be quite inappropriate for
such a list as so many confidentiality issues arise).

I'd be willing to look after the technicalities and look like getting
some support on that in the near future and would be willing to
provide the service for free for the foreseeable future.  It is
possible that the software would change to something more capable and
just possible that the address would have to change (as I might move
job) but I'd look after the techicalities of that to minimise the
impact.  Let me know whether this would be what you need.

Chris

P.S. I am away, highly exceptionally, for the whole of next week,
back in on the 7th of October so take your time!

Chris Evans, Senior Lecturer in Psychotherapy.
Dept. Gen. Psychiatry, St. George's Hospital Medical School,
(London University), Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, Britain
Tel/fax.: (+44|0) 181 725 2540    Email: [log in to unmask]
http://psyctc.sghms.ac.uk/ or http://www.sghms.ac.uk/mhs/psychotherapy/