Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:27:56 -0400
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:04:27 EDT, Michael DeGregory said:

> It says a "total of 6 delivery errors have been received" with the first
> error reported on March 23, 2006. If its only 6 errors why did it auto
> delete when the max is 300. Also how could this address bounce 300 times in
> 7 months? The list is not even open for public posts only owners send
> distribute jobs to the list and we don't send 300 in 7 months. I'm not sure
> whats going on here.

What, you've never seen spamware/worms forge the From: and To: based on what
data they can find on a victim's machine?  Some poor guy on a DSL line near
Topeka Kansas got something evil on his machine, and it sent out mail (either
an exploit or spam) with a From: pointing to your listserv and a To: pointing
at the unsub'ed user.  Then when it bounces because the source is a DSL line,
the bounce goes back to Listserv (Yes, I *know* this requires multiple different
sub-optimal configuration choices by multiple sites. Happens all the time :)

Or even more evil, they managed to run the bounce counter up to 299 - and then
when your probe bounced, it went over the top.