Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 23:41:25 EST
> At 02:20 AM 1996/02/07 -0500, Roger Fajman wrote:
> >
> >Well, that was the key part of my question.  I would like for any
> >moderator or be able to OK any message.  I'm aware of how Resent
> >headers can be used, but most of our mail clients don't work that
> >way.
>
> I have set up a system that does what you want.  We have a team of
> moderators and any of them can OK a message.  To get this to work required
> some custom programming outside of LISTSERV.  We have a special account that
> is listed as the moderator of our list.  This account forwards the mail to
> the members of the moderator team.
>
> As several people pointed out, LISTSERV won't accept the magic cookie from
> any address other than the one it sent the message to.  We got around that
> problem by creating a script in the special moderator account.  The team
> members send the OK messages back to the special account, not to the
> LISTSERV.  The script in the special account then sends the OK to the LISTSERV.

That sounds like the way to do it.

> I think you said in one of your other messages that there were only a small
> number of people who sent messages to the list (deans?) and that your
> concern was to get their messages approved promptly.  Why don't you just add
> the deans to the list of editors?
>

>                                Peace,  Dan

They aren't deans, because we aren't a university, but the level
is similar.  This is the obvious thing to do, but there is concern
on the part of some people that, if the moderators' addresses appear
in postings, some people will fake mail in order to get messages
to the list.  There are people who might do that if they knew how.