Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 21:50:54 CST
On Wed, 1 Feb 1995 14:52:23 -0600 Virginia Metze said:
>> *ps:  I'm in the middle of installing it on Solaris as we speak*

Since this came up, I think I'll give my .02 worth of experiance.
Please keep in mind that I'm fairly unix-aware, but no guru.  I'm
certainly not the unix sysadmin....

The instructions seem to indicate that listserv doesn't need any
   special privs.  This isn't quite true.  There is some modifying of
   files that can only been done from root  (ie. create a directory
   in the /var/spool, edit the sendmail aliases file, etc.).  Maybe
   listserv itself doesn't need special privs, but the person doing
   the installation does.

The instructions for where the files for the lists actually reside
   (and the license key file) was somewhat confusing.  I evnetually
   found it, but I did have to hunt.  In the instructions, it shows
   the full path of the executable files as /home/listserv/lsv.  If
   I had written the docs, I would have shown it as ~/lsv

   BTW:  the list files and the license key go in ~/lsv/home

I haven't tried the file system functions yet - they do look somewhat
  daunting for the unix-neophytes....

All in all, it wasn't TOO bad.  But then, it was the first software
I'ld ever installed on a unix system, so maybe I'm not the best possible
person to make a judgement...

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)

If you want to make life easier for novice computer users, do NOT give
them a restricted menu.  A restricted menu is simply the lazy way to
avoid teaching them what they really need to know in the first place.