Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 03:57:37 +0100
On Thu,  23 Feb  1995 12:41:50  -0600 David  Chapin <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>That's  a  very   pessimistic  attitude.  I  view  it   as  a  positive,
>image-building period.

Now you sound like a salesman :-)

>Eric, you are discussing something totally different here.

No, I was discussing exactly the  same thing: human nature. If there were
a dozen providers offering free trial  periods of SIX MONTHS, noone would
actually be  paying for the  service. People  would just hop  around from
trial to trial. Why pay when you can get it for free? :-)

>True.  But by  offering a  trial  period for  use of  your mailing  list
>services you are doing two things:  1) building customer loyalty to your
>product;  and  2)  deferring  a  payment, which  at  the  beginning  the
>discussion group is generally unable to pay anyway.

You're mixing two issues here. There are  people who have a list and need
a new home,  and then people who  are wondering whether to  start a list.
They have very different profiles.

People who  have a list  and suddenly find  themselves looking for  a new
home don't need  an incentive to try LISTSERV. They  already know exactly
what it  can and  cannot do. Their  only problem is  to get  organized to
collect funding.  They may need  a break,  a deferred payment  plan. They
don't need a trial, because they know  exactly how useful the list is and
what LISTSERV can do for them.

People who're  wondering whether  to start  a new  list do  indeed wonder
what's the difference between LISTSERV and Eudora. But they're not unable
to pay. If they call a commercial  provider they know there's going to be
something to pay and they'll have thought about this in advance. They may
not have much money and in particular  they may not have a commitment for
more  than say  3 months.  But they'll  know what  they're getting  into,
otherwise they wouldn't be calling a  commercial provider. The fees for a
personal list are on the same order as the cost of an Internet account so
it's not something that ordinary people can't pay for a couple months.

As far as I see it, this is  a non-issue for new lists. People may need a
short trial run in order to see what this mailing list business is really
about, because they've just read about  it in a magazine and don't really
understand it. But it doesn't take 6  months to figure out what a mailing
list is. As a matter of  corporate policy, our sales folks generally give
trials to customers  who genuinely need them, so I  don't see any problem
here. If people aren't sure what they're getting into, we'll help them.

The people who have lost their list  now are naturally looking for a free
solution. There's nothing wrong with  that. Ordinarily, it works out just
fine, too. Just  now it doesn't work  too well, because there  are over a
hundred lists that are all in need of  a new home at the exact same time.
System administrators usually have some freedom in deciding what lists to
host, but it's not  like they can add a dozen each  and every month, it's
more like 1-2 per month. So, it's going  to take a while for the lists to
find a new home. Naturally it would be very convenient to get a free ride
for six months to have time to find a more permanent and free home. But I
don't see what  the service provider has to gain  in this bargain. People
will want a  free home not just  because of the money but  because of the
hassle of  having to organize the  collection of some $40/month  from say
200 list members.  I'd look for a  free home if I were  in this position,
too. I'd pay  in the interim, but I'd  want to get rid of  this hassle as
soon  as possible.  It's  already  enough work  to  process the  delivery
errors. Whether I as a shareholder of  L-Soft like it or not, this is the
situation. For the kind of list  we've been talking about (hobbies, pets,
etc),  where each  subscriber would  pay a  few cents  a month,  the hard
reality  is that  you pay  for the  privilege of  having to  do some  tax
collection work  on top of  your current  list owner duties.  It's enough
money that  you don't want  to pay everything  from your pocket,  and yet
it's small  enough that we're  talking about  collecting a few  dollars a
year from  each subscriber,  presumably banknotes in  the mail,  and then
what do you do for international subscribers? This is no fun at all and I
don't expect anyone to  put up with that kind of  arrangement in the long
run. I just don't see any kind of future profit coming down this line. It
doesn't matter that you get better service if you have to spend hours and
hours collecting pennies from hundreds of people.

The kind of setup that does work is when you have a local club of say XYZ
race dog owners.  The club can probably pay $10/month  and find another 3
clubs to pay the rest. One club pays the provider and the others exchange
checks once a year, and it's no  hassle at all. Another option is to find
a sponsor.  We're talking about sums  on the order of  $500/year, maybe a
brand of dog food would be willing to pay that in exchange for being able
to put an ad in the welcome  message. This would only work for the larger
lists, though; the first question they'll ask is how many people read the
list :-)  In such cases  there is an  initial setup effort  in organizing
everything, but very  little work to actually collect the  money. This is
where I see possible long term profits.

>And, I can assure you, it is a  pain in the %$# to leave. Obviously, the
>group will have no intention of using the free trial and then moving on
>-- this is very hard to implement unless  it is a tiny list in the first
>place

Quite to the contrary, it is extremely easy. It can be done in 10 minutes
and the old address  can even be made to work. Unless  of course you have
hundreds of documents you need to  migrate together with the list. In the
worst case it will  take an hour. L-Soft charges $10  for a transfer from
an existing  LISTSERV list, and  that's mostly for  the time it  takes to
talk to the customer and get the files we need. If it really took several
hours of work we'd charge a lot more than $10.

>Think of this issue the same way that the cellular phone companies do by
>giving away free  cell-phones for a service connection  contract. In the
>end they make up the cost of the phones in service charges over time and
>the  customer  ends up  feeling  the  service  is indispensable  and  is
>reluctant  to give  up the  convenience, thus  providing profit  for the
>company.

This  makes sense  for  a cellular  phone company  whose  business is  to
collect  small   amounts  of  money   from  millions  of   people.  These
organizations have a structure that makes  it easy and profitable to talk
lots  of people  into  using a  cellular phone  regularly.  L-Soft has  a
radically different  structure. We're the  company that sell  routers and
radio equipment with which you can build a cellular phone network. If you
sent us 100,000 people who wanted a  cellular phone on a silver plate, we
wouldn't know what to do with them. We'd have to start a new company with
a radically different structure just to  be able to process their orders.
Both are perfectly valid business  opportunities, but they require a very
different kind of structure. With the EASE service we're not looking into
running 100,000 personal lists over the next couple years. This is mostly
a service for businesses who want  to use the Internet for announcements,
technical  support,  newsletters,  etc.  Personal lists  are  welcome  of
course,  but this  isn't  the  business plan,  and  it  can't become  the
business plan  without a  major restructuration,  because we're  just not
organized as a service provider for the masses.

  Eric