Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 May 1991 08:30:01 EST
  Hello Listservians;

Yesterday, on  a bright sunny Sunday  afternoon, some postings to  my Help-Net
list, at  Templevm, elicited  strange behavior  on the  part of  Listserv.  At
about  1300 EST,  Help-Net  subscribers received  bounced  mail from  original
Help-Net postings  which were sent to  someone on a system  called "Dodger" as
you can  see below.  It  seems like this  guy Floyd ran  out of mail  space on
Dodger and  Dodger bounced  several Help-Net mail  postings back  to Help-Net.
Listserv distributed  these error notes  to each Help-Net  subscriber probably
because the error notices were sent  back to Help-Net in a nonstandard fashion
preventing listserv from  catching them and only forwarding them  to me rather
than the whole list.  Postings on Sunday evening did not have this same effect
so I guess Floyd got back and read his unread mail.  Either that, or he signed
off Help-Net  later that day.   I can't find  a subscription entry  for anyone
named  Floyd so  perhaps he  removed himself  from the  list.  Does  this make
sense?   Several subscribers  sent me  notes expressing  anger at  having been
subjected to about 20 of these error  messages from Help-Net.  How can this be
avoided in the future?

Stan Horwitz
Listserv Postmaster
Temple University
Acknowledge to: OASIS@TEMPLEVM (or VM.TEMPLE.EDU)
UUCP  request   floyd!D.floyd8b77c82  to dodger!D.floyd8b77c82
failed on system 'dodger'.
Reason for failure:
	remote system can't create temp file
	remote file system is low on free space

UUCP request floyd!D.dodge4893c82 to dodger!X.dodgerA4893