Joseph McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:05:55 -0700
sendmail is doing the change, not Listserv.  I believe that there is a
config option to disable this in sendmail, but the sendmail.org support
folks highly recommended not to do this.

I had a similar situation a few years ago (not Listserv related) and my
solution was to create a CNAME of "www.listserv.uic.edu" pointing to
"machine1.uic.edu".  Since mail isn't being routed through that CNAME, it
won't get rewritten.  Now, will Listserv like this alias?  I can't say,
since the system I have this setup for is not a Listserv.

If Listserv doesn't like the above setup, your best route would probably be
to make your A record with the name "listserv.uic.edu" (and if you still
want "machine1.uic.edu" to be in existence, make that one your CNAME).  Be
sure to remove the MX record if you make "listserv.uic.edu" an A record.

-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Andrews [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 4:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: I thought MX was a missle

We currently have listserv running on a AIX host, call it machine1.uic.edu.
We have an DNS "MX" record for "listserv.uic.edu" pointing to this machine,
but no "A" record. The "A" record is for machine1.uic.edu.

Right now email to [log in to unmask] goes fine and the reply
address is [log in to unmask] as you'd want. However, (or so I'm
told) if we add a "C" record for listserv.uic.edu, the replies now say
[log in to unmask] Apparently, listserv follows the DNS chain to
the real machine name. Does this make sense? We want to add the "C" name so
the web server URL can use http://listserv.uic.edu. How can we make
listserv always use listserv.uic.edu in it's replies?

John Andrews