Harry Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 08:49:55 -0500
My list ALPINE-L is configured:
Auto-Delete=     Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(42),Max(400),Probe(0)

My intention was to delete subscribers whose mail has bounced continuously
for 42 days.  However, in practice, this setting causes subscribers whose mail
has bounced ONCE to be monitored for 41 more days.  The system then
deletes that person.

How can I amend my header so that only people whose mail has bounced
CONTINUOUSLY for 42 days are deleted?

In fairness, I should say that SOME subscribers are indeed  merely dropped from the
list of monitored persons after the 42 days have passed, during which their
mail has stopped bouncing.  This is the way I thought the system would work.
But two subscribers have been deleted in January alone, even though fewer than
a dozen messages had bounced.

Below is the top portion of yesterday's Daily Error-Monitoring Report
(bounce report), and below THAT is the previous day's bounce report, the
latter showing (for the since-deleted Finnish subscriber, [log in to unmask])
a total of only TEN bounces since the first one on December 3d.

"L-Soft list server at SURFnet (The Netherlands) (1.8d)" wrote:

> The following 1 subscriber was automatically deleted from the
ALPINE-L list today:

>   Last error was: Mailer mail.clinet.fi said: "550
<[log in to unmask]>... Relaying

        Date:              Fri, 21 Jan 2000
"L-Soft list server at SURFnet (The Netherlands) (1.8d)" wrote:

> The following 23 subscribers are currently being monitored:
>
> Err First Last  Address
> --- ----- ----- -------
>  81 01/16 01/21 "Mihaela Dobreanu, Romania"
>                 Last error: Message could not be delivered to mailer
>                             "ASTERIX.OBS.UTCLUJ.RO" after 5.00
day(s) and has
>                             been discarded. The last connection
ended with a
>                             status of "%LSMTP-E-DNS_NOANSWER, No
information
>                             found for given domain name".
>
>  25 01/20 01/21 "Emlyn Kavanagh, Dublin -5C A+ Rh"
>                 Last error: SMTP; 550
<[log in to unmask]>... User
>                             unknown

>                 Last error: SMTP; 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND

>                 Last error: Mailer mail.clinet.fi said: "550
>                             Relaying denied"

snip