Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 27 Sep 1992 20:37:50 +0100
One of the "building blocks" added to  the next version of LISTSERV is an
internal command  called X-B64 which a  future version could use  to pass
binary DISTRIBUTE jobs over mail gateways.  Before you ask, I haven't got
any  serious plan,  schedule or  time  frame for  supporting LISTSERV  on
non-BITNET systems; I am adding this  now because it happened to fit with
what I have  been coding recently and  I know it would take  me twice the
time to add  it in 6 months.  Furthermore it will make  testing easier to
have this feature  already available on a number of  servers when writing
the code for non-BITNET hosts.

I then  realized that  there is  no reason to  restrict this  function to
server-to-server  interactions, since  users without  BITNET connectivity
could greatly benefit from a simple  but robust encoding system for their
list and file management requests. So I made the command public and wrote
a  sample C  program for  unix users.  Currently only  LISTSERV@SEARN has
support for this  format, but the comments in the  program explain how to
reach  any  server  through  one  that supports  X-B64.  The  program  is
available  from LISTSERV@SEARN  via 'GET  LB64.C'. The  LISTSERV code  to
support this format  adds up to 815kb  and a bunch of files  once all the
pre-reqs are included so I don't want  to package it as a FIX file, there
have been  a number  of massive  "global changes"  which have  never been
tested  outside SEARN.  If you  really want  it I  can supply  CARD decks
similar to those used for beta-testing,  and with the same disclaimers as
for beta-testing.

  Eric