Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Aug 1992 22:42:30 EST
On Fri, 7 Aug 1992 19:24:00 EDT <OWEN@YALEVM> said:
>but I don't see why LISTSERV@YALEVM redistributed the
>rejected mail to the list instead of redirecting it
>to a postmaster.  What else is wrong?

 I'll take a wild guess at this.  My suggestion is that you shorten the
 name of the mailing list.  That is, "Forum for the discussion of PC user
 support issues" is pushing the list address, [log in to unmask], off
 the line with the "Reply-To:" and "Sender:" field indicators.  That,
 coupled with the fact that the "From:" line is syntactically incorrect
 is what let this slip through the loop check code.  Here's what I mean,
 in perhaps more detail than you want to hear!

 ...dissected mail follows...
>Comments:     <Parser> E: Mail origin cannot be determined.
>Comments:     <Parser> E: Original tag was -> FROM: Pasarela EAN <--> PMDF
>From:         Undetermined origin c/o Postmaster <[log in to unmask]>

 A left-hand-side of 'mailer' would signal the loop detection code to
 refuse the mail, but the parser tossed the From: line since the <-->
 garbage was in there.  So, it pretends it's from the local postmaster
 and sends it...

>Subject:      Failed mail

 This is not one of the recognized "suspect Subject:" values.  So, again
 nothing here to stop the mail.

 Now for the body of the mail message...

>Sender: Forum for the discussion of PC user support issues
>   ET>

 The loop check code can't tell that the Sender: value is the list address
 since it's on the next line.  To be fair, I looked at the code and it
 does seem to concatenate lines if it thinks that a line is a continuation.
 But since the "<[log in to unmask]" starts in column 1 it's not a valid
 continuation anyway.  The "ET>" split onto a 3rd line would not be a
 problem though since 'PCSUPT-L' and 'YALEVM' on the line with 'Sender:'
 would have been enough to stop the mail.

>   TNET>

 Same problem aswith the "Sender:" in the mail body.

 So, I'd suggest (if just to protect yourself from the bogus mail
 software at <tahat.upc.es>), shorten the name of the list.  Flame
 the [log in to unmask] too, but I'm sure you already thought
 of that idea. :)

>Thanks for your help.
>Jim Owen (for Postmaster@YaleVM)

 -jj