Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:34:07 CDT
Hmmmm.  I made an interesting discovery in my search to get a mail2news
gateway going.  Apparently, when Listserv sends out email where
Send= Editor, it adds a header of

Approved-By:  address of person who approved the post

However, when I tried to use a certain mail2news client to a moderated
group, it rejected it saying that there was no Approved: tag.  Note
that NETNEWS seems to accept it just fine with a tag of Approved-By:
vs Approved.  At any rate, more out of curiosity than anything else,
I sent to a post to news.admin.misc.   Here is what I got:

    Chris> I need to know what the offical tag line in the header of
    Chris> Usenet posts to moderated groups is supposed to be.  Is it:

    Chris> Approved:  address
    Chris>   -or-
    Chris> Approved-By:  address
    Chris>   -or-
    Chris> either one

   The former, only. See RFC 1036.

Note that their answer was that "officially" using Approved-By: is
not valid (despite the fact that most Usenet sites seem to accept it).
So my question here is:
   What's up?

Should Listserv use Approved: instead of Approved-By:?   Has the quoted
RFC been superceeded (gee, that's never happened before) and Approved-By:
is acceptable after all?