Jose Maria Blasco <JMBLASCO@DEARN>
Mon, 29 Aug 88 15:16:15 EST
Since  we are  going to  VM/XA  SP1 in  our mainframe  (we are  currently
running XA SF2),  I decided to install  CMS 5.5 under the  VM/SP guest to
see how it worked. Well, MAILER  didn't want to start, other utilities as
FLIST, BROWSE  or LOOK produced  random abends,  and so on,  but LISTSERV
seemed to work. Fine.  So I left it running during the  night to see what
happened. This morning I had about 6 error mails from LISTSERV telling me
that there had been  a rexx error. By inspecting the  console log I found
that this  was LSVLUPD which  crashed (machine resources  exhausted) when
processing  X-LUPD commands.  Then  I made  the  following experiment:  I
isolated the piece of  code that was crashing (it is  copied below) and I
run it. These are the results (for a GLOBLIST FILE with 1150 entries):

* On CMS 5.0, it runs fine with a 2M machine.
* On  CMS  5.5, it  crashes  with  a  2M  machine (after  processing  450
  entries).
* With 4 megs, it crashes after processing 760 entries.
* With 8 megs  it does run, *but* on listserv  it still crashes, probably
  because LISTSERV is already using part of the memory.

Well now  this was done on  LISTSERV@DBNGMD12, where nobody is  using the
DATABASE  facilities, which  use similar  catenation strategies.  I don't
know if there will  be a fix for that or if this  is part of the improved
support for storage management that IBM has so proudly announced...

  Jose Maria
/**/
 list = ''
'LSVFILER GLOBLIST FILE (STEM L.'