Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 22:43:44 -0400
On Fri, 21 Jul 1995 18:17:43 EDT, "John H. Jordan" said:
> This is the kind of harassing B.S. that I get in my mail everyday that
> makes me want to quit being a listowner.  Is there any way to find out
> who sent this message?  Apparently the message was sent to some type
> of relay, I wonder how many aggravated listowners got this message?
> Is that all you have to do is send a message to:

My current recommendation as Listserv manager here is as follows:

(1) Set up the list with * Subscription=Open,confirm
This will do you a world of good, in catching bad addresses before they get
subscribed (which can be a pain if your list runs 75-300 postings a day ;)
Also, it goes hand-in-hand with (2):

(2) Make it so subscribers can post without hassles, but any attempted
spammage (and also errant 'subscribe' requests, 'please add me', 'please send
the FAQ', and anything else not parsed by Listserv) go to the list owner:

(as an example, let's have SOME-L with owner [log in to unmask]:

* Send= Editor
* Editor=(some-l)

Using both of these in combination makes spamming a PAIN - to spam a list,
they have to first send a SUBSCRIBE, wait for the magic cookie, then send
the OK back, then send the spammage.  Otherwise, it just goes to the list
owner for an (almost certain) quick death, just as the current spam detector
does.....

You can play lots of games with this - the first editor and the owner, for
example, dont HAVE to be the same person.. Or you can use the Editor=() so
any number of people on a different list can post (we use that feature for
a number of lists here - people subscribe to the public list, ask questions
there, and then get replies back from another list where the people decided
what the Official Party Line response was going to be... ;)

Incidentally, I think BYU is the source, or at least where it was bounced out
from, as I saw the same site referenced in some of the copies I got...

> >Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 19:37:35 -0700

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer
                                Virginia Tech