"Glenn A. Malling" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 May 1995 10:23:50 -0400
> >From the draft 1.8b release notes:
>
> - (non-VM) New SMTP_RESET_EVERY configuration option: this option directs
>   LISTSERV to  drop its outbound  SMTP connections at  regular intervals.
>   The value of  the keyword is the number of  minutes between each forced
>   timeout. This option may be useful if  you are using sendmail as a mail
>   delivery agent.  On an active  system, there  may be enough  traffic to
>   keep the  connections active 24 hours  a day. The size  of the sendmail
>   process driving the connection appears to grow with time, with observed
>   values of a dozen megabytes after a week of activity, presumably due to
>   storage fragmentation.  Since this  is the process  from which  all the
>   delivery  subprocesses are  forked, the  sendmail processes  get bigger
>   with time, and  some customers have reported increased swap  rates as a
>   result. Resetting the connection regularly (say every 8h) prevents this
>   phenomenon.
>
> I will update this paragraph with your figures :-)
>
>   Eric

Hmm, either (a) SMTP_RESET_EVERY is not supported in 1.8b-Beta or more
likely (b) I've done a really miserable job of guessing the syntax of
the operation.

I put SMTP_RESET_EVERY="4h" in go.user and no effect.  I also tried
SMTP_RESET_EVERY="4" to no avail.  I'm starting to develop a strong
dislike for sendmail. :-(

Glenn A. Malling <[log in to unmask]>
Syracuse University Computing Services   +1 (315) 443-4111
220 Machinery Hall  Syracuse, New York 13244-1260