Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:01:44 PDT

Eric said:
> >But it is! And just what *exactly* do you think HTML is based on? What do
> >you  think people  used at  CERN  for text  processing when  the WWW  was
> >designed?
>
> Actually, I think it looks closer to TeX than Script.... ;-)

Actually, it (HTML) looks exactly like it's based on SGML. It looks
nothing like TeX-based in my mirror. SGML and Script have an incestuous
relationship reaching way back.

> ...  But now I have a new
> suggestion:
>
> How about using HTML formatting commands instead of Script commands?

"Based on" and "Looks like" and "Is" are three different concepts and
points of reality. I suspect that LISTSERV's very small set of formatting
directives only "look like" anything else in the world, but Eric
could say otherwise with authority. The LISTSERV directives work.
Until some major "standards-conforming" unheavel of LISTSERV occurs,
with respect to text formatting, I don't know why L-Soft would spend
valuable time making its formatting directives BE or be BASED ON
anything in particular --use whatever system utilities are available
for the systems that LISTSERV runs on, or let him roll his own.
Peter R