Mike Grosshandler <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:15:41 -0500
Hi,

I've inherited Listserv here at UAlbany, and I've got a question that
apparently has been an issue here for a while.

We're running 1.8d currently, on Solaris 2.9.  Each semester, most of the
class Lists on campus are purged to clean up for the next semester.  Someone
here previously created a separate (Windows) Access database to keep track
of our lists, and the "type" of list (Class, Administrative, Internal,
etc.).  That generates a list of Lists to purge each semester.

That list is imported by hand into a Korn Shell script, which is buggy.  The
script alerts, via email, Owners and Sponsors that their List is up for
Renewal/Purging, and allows them to click a link to Renew or Delete their
list.  After two notifications, the script can then remove the Lists not
acted on, or marked as Deleted.

Often, Lists with similar names get removed by mistake (problem with a
regular expression in the script).  This process is quite involved, and easy
to mess up.  Also, the Owner info for each list is only added to the Access
database on List creation and when I personally modify a list for a user and
change the Access entry myself.  This results in some notices not going to
the actual Owners, when such things are changed without our notification,
and Lists being removed incorrectly.  This brings in the trouble of
reinstating lists from backups, which is a pain.

I'm wondering if there is a function in Listserv that would help with this
process, or ideally, replace this process, maybe in the newest release?
I've browsed the release notes and unfortunately didn't see anything like
this.  I'm sure other Universities must go through a similar process, too.
I'd appreciate any feedback from someone with experience with this process.
I might rewrite the shell script in Perl to get rid of some bugs, but I'd
rather not if I don't have to.  :)

Thanks in advance!

 Mike Grosshandler
 Senior Programmer/Analyst