"Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Aug 1992 04:27:21 -0400
Hello -

  We have set up a mailing list to which users must be subscribed before they
can post to the list. This is on a VAX/VMS system, and thus can't run LISTSERV.
Also, we didn't get any responses to a request for a LISTSERV to host the list.

  Anyway, I'd like to make sure that the message our software sends to a user
who is not a list member won't be accpeted as a LISTSERV posting. I can think
of no reason why a mail loop between LISTSERV and our list would occur, but I
have seen enough strange things in the past that I'd like to make sure this
won't happen.

  I can't readily set our mailing list "from" address to one of the things
that LISTSERV checks for, as it's already set to the moderator's address. Thus
I need to either use a subject or some body text that will trip LISTSERV's
"bounce detector", hopefully without confusing the user that is receiveing
the message.

  Alternatively, I could add an additional mail header like "X-Listserv: Ig-
nore" if LISTSERV looks at header lines.

  A quick look at the archives shows a number of discussions about this, but
I was unable to find a complete current list. Pointers to the location of the
release notes or any other hints would be appreciated.

        Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
        [log in to unmask]     St. Peter's College, Jersey City, NJ USA
        [log in to unmask]    +1 201 915 9381