Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:10:58 -0500
Garrie Burr wrote:

> --"Bulk email":  what number of messages would be considered bulk?

AFAIK this just means more than "x" messages in "y" time from a single IP.  They don't care if it is list mail or anything else, they don't look at the RFC headers at all.  Just the IP.  At least that is how it works now, as I've been down this road before with the cases of local user mailboxes being forwarded to AOL, then anything they "report as spam" goes against our outgoing mail gateway IPs.

The "new" twist sounds like they are going to start examining content *in addition* to existing IP rules, and their IP whitelist (which only bypasses the rate limiting) will get smaller by lowering the complaint threshold (the above "report as spam" numbers).

In addition to the "GoodMail" business, it sounds like you may find yourself rate limited again, and your local outbound queues for AOL growing considerably.  Or will they start 5xx rejecting mail after the rate limit?

None of this sounds very appealing.  All of it reeks of "You can spam all you like for a price".

Perhaps we should amend the Service: list header keyword to NO-Service: to exclude aol.com :-)

Jeff