Landy Manderson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jun 1991 09:03:20 CDT
On Thu, 6 Jun 91 14:43:00 CDT Phil Endacott said:

>Seems to me that it would be simpler to do an "automagic purge" every
>six months or 4 months and then send some boilerplate advising the
>subscriber that the list is being updated and if he/she wishes to
>continue receiving mail, to SUB again.  Students would not be such a
>problem (they wouldn't do the QUERY anyway) and old fogeys like me who
>can't remember all the lists they have subscribed to can just
>"refresh" their memories ;-) by subscribing to their current
>interests.  Just my .02 . . . . Phil---

I am somewhat uncomfortable with this approach, for two reasons:

1. Increased network traffic from all the cancellation, subscription, and
   confirmation messages.

2. Potential loss of interesting messages from our lists in the period of
   time between unsubscription and resubscription.

Maybe as a compromise we could just send out boilerplate messages that say
"You are subscribed to list such-and-such.  If you no longer want to be
subscribed, please send this command ..."

Personally, though, I still think a QUERY (NETWIDE would be a nice addition.