Doug Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Jul 90 15:11:34 EDT
Usenet<->inet mailing list<->listserv mailing list gateways vary in
how they're implemented.

Some are 'live' gateways - as soon as a news article arrives, it's
posted for distribution to the internet (and from there to listserv)
mailing lists.  Usually a 'daemon' server process handles this.
Mail arriving is sent out to the corresponding newsgroup by the same
or a similar server process.  Some of the tcp-ip newsgroups are handled
this way.

Others are handled by a 'moderator' - if you post to the listserv list,
generally it's bounced to their internet mailbox.  The moderator will
take all of the mail postings and feed them into news, and will collect
all of the news postings and send them out in a digest.  I'm assuming
some shell-scripts were written to ease this process.

Some newsgroups are themselves moderated, so all postings - news or
mailing list - are mailed to the moderator, and who posts it to the
newsgroup and the mailing list.  The moderator only has to read mail,
not news postings too.

While this hasn't directly answered your question, perhaps it will
give you a clue as to where this particular mailing is getting
trashed.

--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555