Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:43:57 -0500
Hi listserv admins,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but we are thinking about using
the command mentioned below i.e.

    quiet change * *@old.domain *@new.domain

and I need a little more information.

(1) Are there any 'gotchas'?  (What can I say?  People here
    are suspicious of anything that looks that simple.)

(2) Will it work on 1.8d?

Our old domain is pilot.msu.edu; our new one is simply
msu.edu - currently (since years ago) they are aliased
in aliases.names like so:  :nick.MSU.EDU :alias.PILOT.MSU.EDU
When we did that, they were the same system.  Now msu.edu is
actually a separate system that knows who is still on Pilot
and forwards as needed.  In a couple of months Pilot will go
away - meanwhile we want to route as much Pilot mail through
the new msu.edu system as possible, for better virus checking.

Possibly I should also be asking if we should turn that
aliases.names record around now - i.e. is the right hand side
implied to be the "preferred" name somehow?

Finally, if an owner has set up a personal password for the
old id in the web interface, and that owner is also a subscriber
and gets "changed", and then tries to use the password with
either id in the web interface, it would be nice if that
would just work.  Will the aliases.names entry be enough to
save us from ourselves here?  :)  (I realize that to be tidy we
really should fix any owner records, postmaster names etc. with
the old form, but that will be a slower process....)

Margaret King
Michigan State University