Thu, 12 Nov 1992 16:03:53 EST
greetings listservers.  before i ask this question let me apologize
for the length of my posting - this may be obscure or a FAQ - i am "new".

we are attempting to merge our two vm/sp systems into one and are
investigating the effect this will have our our listserv subscribers.

we plan to merge the two systems GITVM1 and GTRI01 into one system
which will retain the name GITVM1.

both of these systems are currently internet hosts, although neither has
a ":internet." tag registered in BITEARN NODES.  the (soon to be)
extinct system is NJE NODEID GTRI01, internet GTRI01.GATECH.EDU;
the target system is NJE NODEID GITVM1, internet GITVM1.GATECH.EDU and
VM1.GATECH.EDU. the software involved is Rice Mail, MAILER, TCP/IP for VM, and
PROFS V2 w/PROFS extended mail.

our MAILER, RSCS, and SMTP software will allow us to accept incoming
mail addressed to any of the seven possible addresses and deliver it
to the virtual reader of the recipient.  (i.e. "x at gtri01",
"x at gitvm1", "[log in to unmask]", "[log in to unmask]", "[log in to unmask]",
"[log in to unmask]" and "[log in to unmask]").

the question remains, though, how x can un-subscribe, post or get files
if the original subscription was from one of the gtri01 addresses,
while the unsubscribe, post, or get is coming from one of the three
"vm1" addresses.

i have read eric's posting of 92/07/17 regarding listserv 1.7d support
for the :newnode and :oldnode tags and am convinced that this will
offer at least some relief (thanks for adding this, btw) but am unsure
about the completeness of this solution.  what if we do the following?

 :node.gtri01 :internet.gtri01.gatech.edu :newnode.gitvm1
 :node.gitvm1 :internet.gitvm1.gatech.edu vm1.gatech.edu :oldnode.gtri01

what are the considerations for the timing of these changes?

thank you for the consideration...!
ed