Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:06:04 -0400
We are planning to move our server to a faster machine later this
week.  Curious if any of you have any words of wisdom.

We are moving our server to a much faster machine.  However, we
cannot give it the same IP number as our current lists.psu.edu
machine. We also believe we need to keep this number in use since it
has been whitelisted by a lot of sites because of spamcop problems.
So here is our plan.

1. Keep lists.psu.edu (128.118.141.59) running with essentially just
sendmail.  It will route all traffic to the new machine at
lists.aset.psu.edu.

2. Create a reverse proxy to route http://lists.psu.edu traffic to http://lists.aset.psu.edu

3. The go.user file on lists.aset.psu.edu will describe itself as
lists.psu.edu i.e. NODE="lists.psu.edu".  So mail from this machine
will be "from" lists.psu.edu.

4. lists.aset.psu.edu will send all of its mail out through
lists.psu.edu, so all mail headers will show lists.psu.edu.

5. When we can move the 128.118.141.59 IP number, we will assign it to the new machine.