Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jul 1991 10:48:39 CDT
   Some of the minor changes in LISTSERV release 1.7a might cause
postmasters some confusion at first.  Eric has added some more tests
to try to detect error mail and prevent loops.  This is a good thing
but it might impact some users.

   Because of the enhancements in the LSVXMAIL EXEC you probably WILL
start to see some "mail origin seems to be a mailer or mail-daemon"
errors for valid looking mail.  In these cases we ask the user to use
another mail origin address.

From Userid Checks:   (case is ignored)

   The entire "local part" of the mail address (before the @ sign)
is broken into "words" wherever there is a "%", "!" or ":".  Then
if any of the resulting words matches one of the following six items:

   MAILER       LISTSERV    ...DAEMON...  (these were in old version)
   POSTMASTER   ROOT        UUCP         (these are NEW in 1.7a)

       (... means any characters - eg.  MAILER-DAEMON HIDAEMON etc)

then the mail is rejected with a "mail origin seems to be a mailer
or mail-daemon" (or LISTSERV server) message.

   In other words, these addresses will be REJECTED now:
     From: [log in to unmask]

HOWEVER, please note that    [log in to unmask] would
be ok (the pseudo domain of .uucp in itself is ok - it is just a
"userid" of uucp that is a problem).

   The userids of POSTMASTER, ROOT, and UUCP are the ones which may no
longer be able to send mail to a LISTSERV list or commands to
LISTSERV.  We found all the current subscribers with affected
addresses on our lists and sent them a note explaining the change.
We also sent a note to all our local list owners warning them to
watch for the new bounces.

   The biggest problem here would be for users of very small unix
systems with only ROOT defined.  In fact, we had a user who had
fileowner privileges who was affected but he was able to change his
system to fix the origin address.  There are just too many strange
errors coming from "ROOT" to trust a program (even LISTSERV) to make
the right decision.

Subject Checks:   (case is ignored!)

   Besides any subject starting with "Ack:" (which is discarded) the following
subjects will cause the mail to be rejected with the message "mail
subject indicates a delivery problem".  (... means any characters)