SCOTT GUILLOT 553-6000 <C4814SG@UMSLVMA>
22 May 1987, 13:41:52 CST
The questions are mainly about how to send a file to LISTSERV and allow a
General User access it.  The first problem is how to get LISTSERV to receive
the file and store it under a specific list.  If you send a file to LISTSERV
itself, it assumes that the file is a command file and tries to process every
line in that file as a valid LISTSERV command.  If you send the file to the
list itself ( eg.  TEST at UMSLVMA   for the list TEST), then that file gets
distributed to everyone that is SUBscribed to the list TEST.  And, no
mention of this file is put in the TEST NOTEBOOK or TEST FILELIST either.
Using the LSVPUT EXEC form remote just stores the file onto the A disk, but
doesn't associate it with any list, so a General User would probably never
realize that the file exists and is available to him/her.  So what am I
missing??  Where did the flow of thought go wrong??  I am still new with
the whole idea of LISTSERV and what all it can do, but I thought I had a
better grasp of the ?OBVIOUS?.  Anyway, can anyone explain, clearly, to me
how a remote user with proper verification and access abilities can send a
file to LISTSERV with the final purpose of that file being able to be
accessed or retrieved by any General User AND so that the file sent to
LISTSERV appears in the FILELIST for that list that the file is intended??

Thanks for all your help......one of the days the lightbulb will go on

Scott Guillot      Postmaster at UMSLVMA ( C4814SG@UMSLVMA )