"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:31:34 -0800
Pete,

Using the bulk ADD syntax did the trick. Thanks for your help.

As a side issue, but one perhaps that is worth mentioning, was that I
was getting this kind of error message from LISTSERV:

>An     error    occurred     while    processing     file
>[omitted]     from
>MAILER@[omitted].COM: "Mail message sent to the LISTSERV address contains
>invalid RFC822 fields and could not be parsed successfully".
>
>RFC822 parser messages follow:
>
><W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence was retained.

I tested my email client by sending myself a test message, but it was
generating only one MESSAGE-ID field, not two. It was baffling, and
not only that, it was apparently preventing LISTSERV from processing
my various test commands. Then it dawned on me: For testing, I was
using my email client's (Eudora's) "resend" function to save time --
I simply selected a sent test email command message, made whatever
change in the syntax I was testing, and hit send. Well, that was
apparently generating a second MESSAGE-ID field and LISTSERV didn't like it.

Anyway, I can now proceed with my email command testing, preliminary
to building the form.

Steve

At 03:19 PM 1/27/2007, you wrote:
>At 18:07 1/27/2007 Saturday, Stephen C. Nill wrote:
>

> >You've lost me here -- can you point me to a section of the
> (applicable) manual that discusses this? (I don't want to take up
> more of your time helping me if I can find it in the manual.)
>

>http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.html#_Toc128537149
>

>ADD(*) listname DD=ddname [IMPORT [PRELOAD]]
>

>The first syntax is used to add an individual user to one of your
>lists, or update his name field. Note that you can substitute an
>asterisk ("*") for full_name and LISTSERV will substitute "<No name
>available>" in the list.
>

>The second syntax is used for bulk ADD operations where a dataset
>(DD=ddname) is used add multiple users, one address/name pair per
>line. For bulk operations you may also use the IMPORT option, which
>implies a QUIET ADD (in other words you do not need to specify QUIET
>if you use IMPORT) and otherwise vastly speeds up the ADD process by
>loosening syntax checking and omitting success messages. The IMPORT
>PRELOAD option first appeared in 1.8d and is used to direct LISTSERV
>to preload the existing e-mail keys in memory before starting the
>transaction, which speeds the operation up considerably. This option
>is used primarily with DBMS lists to speed up bulk adds. PRELOAD is
>not necessary for traditional LISTSERV lists and does not normally
>lead to a significant performance improvement. However, when
>importing a new list (no existing subscribers), it does reduce CPU
>usage somewhat.
>

>For a bulk ADD operation, the users are defined in a separate
>dataset beginning on the line following the ADD command.  For instance,
>

>ADD listname DD=ddname IMPORT
>
>//ddname DD *
>
>[log in to unmask] User Name
>
>[log in to unmask] User2 Name
>
>... more address/name pairs, one per line ...
>
>/*

Stephen C. Nill
Founder & Chief Executive Officer
CharityChannel