Stanley Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:29:09 -0400
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Alta M. Oben wrote:
> Our Internet user support team wants to change its method of handling
> distribution of user queries and responses.  Currently, mail addressed to
> [log in to unmask] is sent to the team members via a .forward file.  The
> main reason we thought to switch to a LISTSERV list is so we can archive
> the traffic in one location for members of the team to search for the great
> answer one of us gave two months ago to the same question and use it again.
>
> We would only subscribe the team members to the list.  We'd like the mail
> coming to [log in to unmask] to go to the list.  We also would like replies
> we send to go the original non-subscriber sender AND to the other team
> members.  We also want a FROM: of [log in to unmask]
>
> Can LISTSERV do these things together?  From reading the online manuals
> today, the Reply-To seemed to be an either/or set to List or Sender not
> both, and CC: seemed to be in templates and not the usual traffic.

Yes and no. As far as replies go, your consultants will have to remember
to direct their replies both to the person who asked the question and to
the list. How to do that is largely dictated by the mail software that
each consultant uses when reading and replying to messages.

We use a similar arrangement for our reference librarians where, last time
I checked, one librarian is on duty per day to check e-mail, but all of
them are subscribed to the list where library users can send questions.
This works out nicely. We have been doing it this way for at least two
years now.