"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 10:00:31 EDT
On Sat, 15 Jul 95 23:06:05 CDT you said:
>   We had at least two flurries of bogus (probably forged) subscriptions
>to many lists here today.  They arrived here as "X-FOR" jobs from other
>LISTSERV servers (as shown below) so I couldn't track the real IP origins.
>Both addresses bounced as "User unknown".
>
>   I did a quiet serve off and quiet delete * for these addresses here but
>I suspect they may have hit other places too.
>
>Bogus Address                   X-For From       Arrived at NDSUVM1
>
>[log in to unmask]  LISTSERV@MARIST  7/15 04:23 CDT (0923 GMT)
>      (hit about 86 lists)
LISTSERV here was down Saturday am from about 2am-5am EDT while a backups
were done.  At 2:21am EDT, SMTP received a file from io.org (142.77.70.2)
that was processed by LISTSERV at 5:12am EDT with these subscriptions.
There were about 2700 individual subscribe request followed by reviews
in the list.  The requests used the 'subscribe listname@fqdn full name'
format.

>[log in to unmask]              LISTSERV@RPITSVM 7/15 22:06 CDT (0306 GMT 7/16)

>Marty Hoag   [log in to unmask]            US Mail: NDSU ITS
/ahw