Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 May 2005 17:02:35 +0200
I am looking for sites interested in beta-testing LISTSERV on Windows x64
Edition (in native  64-bit mode). I am particularly  interested in anyone
who would be willing  to give the ODBC interface a  serious test, as this
is my only area of concern. A lot of ODBC datatypes were widened for x64,
and this could potentially lead  to "entertaining" problems with this but
not that version of this but not that database.

On the same hardware, LISTSERV appears to run noticeably faster in 64-bit
mode than in  native 32-bit mode. I am seeing  improvements in the 15-20%
range, which surprised  me at first, since applications  like LISTSERV do
not normally gain any speed by going to 64-bit mode (the extra memory can
make a difference with very large  workloads, but that is another story).
This being said, the AMD64 architecture  adds another 8 registers (on top
of the widened x86 registers). I am  testing on a socket 754 machine, and
I suspect the  difference would be smaller with socket  939 or 940, since
the  additional registers  are  likely to  suppress  memory accesses  for
swapping temporary data in and out of the smaller x86 register set.

Anyway, please contact me directly if interested.

  Eric