Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 02:22:14 +0200
On Mon, 11 Dec 1995 13:49:27 -0500 Tom Newell <[log in to unmask]> said:

>we've been wrestling  with a problem for  three days or so  which has us
>stumped. We  host two  lists, NET-HAPPENINGS  and the  SCOUT-REPORT. The
>NET_HAPPENINGS  list has  frozen  as  of the  5th  but the  SCOUT-REPORT
>continues to function as expected. The  list is not locked and the owner
>submits from the correct address.

It's because  the list  is held,  ie placed into  a state  where incoming
postings will remain  queued until the list is released.  This can happen
if the list owner holds the list using the 'HOLD listname' command, or if
LISTSERV decides to hold it following a system error (typically, an error
writing  to the  archive file).  In the  latter case,  the list  owner is
notified by  e-mail. The list can  be released using the  'FREE listname'
command.

  Eric