Phil Howard <PHIL@UIUCVMD>
Wed, 15 Oct 86 11:01:21 CDT
I am one of the people who immediately press PF9 for DELETE when I get
a statistical mail from Listserv.  It seems I have been pressing it a
lot lately.  I guess that is an indication that Eric's LISTSERV is
growing in popularity.  Yet, I don't care for these messages.

I think the sender of the messages should have the option to control
this, since I suspect some people will want them, and/or have legitimate
use for them.  The question is how should this be done?  In the message
itself, or in the list?  Whatever way is chosen, it should be done that
way by ALL list servers redistributing the mail.  Should the default be
to send or not to send the stats?  That should be based on what a majority
want.  I personally would prefer a setting that LISTSERV keeps on its own
and can be overridden on a message-by-message basis with a special keyword
inserted in a COMMENT: or SUBJECT: tag.  How LISTSERV's communicate this
is only an implementation question.