"David M. Rosenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 May 1999 19:29:54 EDT
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:59:56 -0500, "John R. Andrews" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>I am trying to set up a list that will allow anyone in our local
>service area, i.e., *.uic.edu to post, but off campus posts to go to a
>moderator. We are running Listserv version 1.8c.
>
>On page 169 of the Site Manager's Operation Manual for Listserv 1.8c
>it states that while the first editor must be a network address and
>not an access-level, subsequent editors may be access-levels. The
>following example is given: * Editor= [log in to unmask],(MYLIST-L)
>
>From this I concluded, I could specify "Service" as the second editor
>entry; however, when I do, I receive the following error.
>
>* Editor= ...,SERVICE Error: Incorrect syntax. This parameter must be
>a so called "monitoring address", such as "Owners", "Owner" (only the
>first address in the list of owners), "Postmaster(s)", a valid RFC822
>address, and so on. The special keyword "quiet:" indicates that all
>the addresses that follow should be ignored when sending unimportant
>messages.
>
>However, Listserv will accept a (listname) editor entry, so I'm
>guessing that only some of the access-levels are usable.
>
>Is there some other way to specify a service area as able to send but
>not others?
>
>John Andrews
>UIC

I've wanted to do something similar. In general, I want to limit my
list so that only subscribers can send to it. However, if a site takes
responsibility for distributing the messages to everyone at that site,
then I'd everyone at that site (= domain) to be able to send to my list.

Like you, I also noticed that the second and subsequent editors can be
an access level. So my idea was to set up a separate list (which would
never be used for distributing messages) whose service area was defined
as the set of domains that I wanted to be able to send to my list. I
then set * Editor= My_Address,(MyList),Service(Separate_List)

I exchanged mail with Eric and he said that he thought that this SHOULD
work. I tried it and there were no syntax errors, but it doesn't seem
to work the way I (and Eric?) thought it should. I never pursued it and
hence I don't have a solution for you.

I did want to pass on this idea and my experience. I also want to
support the idea that this would be a useful facility to have.

The following is an excerpt from my own "LISTSERV Wish List" document.

Using <Area>s in the values of the Editor=, Review=, and Send= keywords

I would like to be able to use <Area>s (as used with the Service=
keyword, e.g. SITE.EDU,*.SITE.EDU) in the values of other keywords that
control access to the list. In particular, I would like to be able to
set any of the Review=, Send=, and Editor= (for the second and
subsequent editors) keywords to "SITE.EDU,*.SITE.EDU" or to a
combination of an access-level and an area. For example, "Send=
Private,site.edu,*.site.edu" would mean anyone subscribed to the list OR
in the site.edu domain could send to the list. Similarly, "Editor=
UserID@Node,(MYLIST),site.edu,*.site.edu" would mean that either
UserID@Node, anyone subscribed to the MYLIST list, OR anyone in the
site.edu domain would be recognized as an editor of the list.