Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 11 Oct 1987 19:31 SET
- LISTSERV is now able to recover from REXX errors encountered while a command
  was being processed. The command is merely ended with an error message and a
  nastygram sent to the postmaster. That way if  I find yet a new way to break
  DIST2 in 1.5m, all the servers in  the world won't stop when I start testing
  the thing again  :-) The actual REXX  error message is still  printed on the
  console  log by  REXX, and  is  not passed  on  to LSVCMD  (which gets  only
  "incorrect call to routine").

- LSVLTELL has been  improved to stop formatting messages  with 50-chars lines
  just because it doesn't  know for sure that the stuff is  going out as mail.
  Now it  goes into some more  trouble to find  out, on a user  basis, whether
  they can handle 80 chars or would rather stay at 50.

- LSVTELL has been improved to stop sending the same messages messages 3 times
  to yours truly just because he happens to be (a) the command issuer, (b) the
  local  postmaster  and   (c)  listed  in  the  LCOORD   variable.  This  was
  particularly  awful with  LSVLTELL messages,  because you  would then  get 3
  copies of the first  line, 3 copies of the second line,  etc. If you specify
  multiple occurences  of a  given userid  in a LSVTELL  call, the  second and
  subsequent ones are now discarded.

- LSVTELL can now accept more than one  output line in a single call (separate
  them with X'15's). LSVLTELL (and  several command processors) take advantage
  of the  resulting performance improvement. Try  a HELP command from  a local
  console before and after installing 1.5m.  Note that the lines will still be
  sent "as is", without folding or spilling.

- Support for LSV$PROF  EXEC in SYSVARS FILE has been  removed, as I announced
  previously.

- Support for the NETSERV  CONTACTS file has been removed too.  I got tired of
  trying to determine who is the  contact for this or that particular NETSERV,
  especially as some NETSERVs just DON'T have a contact (see UKACRL). Mail for
  NETSERV userids now gets bounced to the postmaster and nobody else.

- The AFD/FUI  commands now have  a REP operand which  is a synonym  with ADD.
  This is for  compatibility with the new NETSERV syntax,  which I don't like.
  File cache  servers now  have to  send REP commands  to NETSERV  (instead of
  ADD), so I allowed REP to function with LISTSERV but I do NOT plan to change
  ADD into a "no-replace" addition. At best I would provide a NOREP option for
  ADD, and only if someone could prove clearly that it would really be useful.

- The AFD/FUI command has been expanded to allow postmasters and NADs to issue
  LIST/ADD/DELETE requests  on behalf of other  users. The syntax is  "AFD FOR
  userid@node whatever".  This is  not compatible with  the NETSERV  syntax of
  "AFD password whatever FOR userid@node", which I don't like (again). I think
  that users  should be  allowed to put  a 'FOR' in  the next-to-last  word of
  their prolog texts if they want.  I had thought about enhancing the LISTSERV
  PUT command so that you can  specify a 'FOR userid@node' keyword to indicate
  the userid  of the person  who's to get the  reply messages, since  there is
  little point  in sending a  reply back  to a NETSERV  or other server.  So I
  would have  AFDed to NETSERV  with a prologtext of  "PUT fn ft  filelist FOR
  ERIC@FRECP11"

>>> Note: AFD FOR xxx and FOR xxx AFD don't do the same thing <<<

0. The following discussion holds for FUI as well.

1. With FOR xxx AFD, the target gets a copy of every message that gets sent to
   you. The password you must specify  is the target's password, since "he" is
   issuing the command. With AFD FOR xxx, he won't get a copy of your messages
   and the  password to  specify is  your personal  password, since  "you" are
   issuing the command.

2. With AFD  FOR, the target will  get notified of ADD/DELs  you might perform
   against his  subscription lists. With QUIET  AFD FOR, nothing is  sent out.
   With FOR  xxx AFD, he'll get  notified via interactive messages  only (like
   you).

3. With AFD  FOR, file access verification  is done with YOUR  userid, so that
   you can  subscribe the target  to files he is  not authorized to  get. Note
   that  this  might not  work  if  a File  Access  Validation  Exit has  been
   installed for the  file. What happens at actual AFD  time is strictly under
   its control,  and it might  decide to refuse the  AFD. There is  no problem
   with FUI of course.

4. 'AFD FOR xxx GET yyy' does the same as 'AFD GET yyy'. This is a consequence
   of point 3.

5. You should therefore not use FOR xxx AFD unless you have a good reason to.

- You can now  PUT lists with your  personal password. THIS DOES  NOT MEAN YOU
  SHOULD LEAVE  THE LIST PASSWORD BLANK!  Anyway you'll get a  warning message
  whenever you store a list with a blank password.

- I  plan to  completely reshape  the File  Access Validation  Exit calls  for
  AFD-time processing.  The current protocol  is very messy and  not precisely
  satisfactory, and  may cost a  lot of CPU time.  It also conflicts  with the
  nature of the AFD-via-DISTRIBUTE feature of 1.5l :-) I must improve it so as
  to save  CPU for "vanilla" files  (in cases where  the FAVE only adds  a few
  tests  to the  userids allowed  to GET  or AFD  to the  file), and  to allow
  "customized" files to  be sent via AFD (and without  DISTRIBUTE) if the FAVE
  so desires.  The present  setup makes  it technically  impossible to  AFD to
  something  like the  NOTEBOOK FILELIST,  where  the contents  depend on  the
  person who issues the GET command.

- I plan to write LISTFOWN afterwards. The main reason is that I need to check
  that everything is consistent, and the only  way out is to document it :-) I
  have no idea  when it will be done,  I have a lot of  mandatory courses this
  year. By  the way,  now that I  am in  a CS-only course,  I have  been given
  access to the best computer students have  access to. In other words, I have
  upgraded from a PDP 11/23 with teletypes (yup, no screen, just a printer and
  a  keyboard) to  a  PDP 11/73  with  VT100s.  The VT100s  have  a very  nice
  "feature" (in IBM rep terms): the characters on the first line of the screen
  are about twice as big as those on  the last line. This way you can move the
  portion of  text you're  working on on  line 1, and  see it  magnified. Very
  clever. I'm learning to  love these VT100s. You can move 1  line down in the
  file you are  editing in less than  5 seconds by just  pressing cursor down.
  Really fantastic.  On the teletype,  it took much  longer because it  had to
  print the  next line  (scratatatatatatatatata...hrhrhrhrhrhr). We  have just
  discovered a new game: try to edit on  a VT100 at the same speed you'd do it
  on a local 327x. After about 2-3 seconds, you are actually typing some 10-15
  seconds of wall  clock time ahead, and  you start losing track  of where the
  cursor is  (I mean, will be).  We take bets  as to the number  of characters
  we'll botch up and have to retype when the PDP is done processing our input.
  When we have become  proficient enough, we'll be able to  type in a complete
  program and then leave  the VT100 to digest our input while  we take a break
  for coffee. And I thought I wouldn't learn anything useful in Supelec... :-)

Eric