Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 May 2001 19:21:28 -0400
I am contemplating migrating the Listserv at listserv.temple.edu from
Tru64 Unix (with Qmail instead of Sendmail) to Windows 2000, or NT. Has
anyone on this LSTSRV-L list done a similar migration? We have approx 1600
lists with the largest list having approximately 40,000 subscriptions. I
am wondering if Listserv will work under Windows 2000, but NT would be
okay too.

I assume I will need some sort of mail distribution software such as the
LSMT that L-Soft offers, but I am wondering if any other options are
available to do what we do with Qmail on our Unix system now. Our Listserv
tends to be fairly active around the clock every day of the year, but with
the amazing capability of Wintel boxes and disk storage these days, I
think speed issues will not be a problem in such a migration.

I also have a few PERL scripts that generate reports on Listserv activity.
I guess I will have to tweek those a bit to work on the Windows version of
PERL, but that's not a critical issue for me.

What's most important is that we get as quick, or quicker, delivery times
after the migration and that reliability of Listserv improves. The Web
capability of Listserv via the WA cgi is also important, but from what I
can see when I did some work on other organizations Listservs under NT,
that functionality works quite well. Right now, we get frequent core dumps
of our Listserv on our Unix system, hence the primary reason for my
interest in migrating to Windows.

Any comments on this issue will be appreciated.