Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:10:12 -0400
On 28 Oct 98 at 13:31, Debby Quayle wrote:

> ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.answers/mail/list-admin/software-faq

That's the only 3rd party comparison I know of too, but it's very
old. I don't know how much majordomo has changed in the last few
years, but LISTSERV has changed tremendously -- version 1.8a did not
have any web interface at all, and many other features were added
besides.

The only other comparison I know of is one of performance, but since
it's on L-Soft's web site, you might not consider it objective
enough:

http://www.lsoft.com/listserv-perf.html

The following is my _own_ opinion, and again, you might choose to
disregard it since I work for L-Soft. Before I ever worked for
L-Soft, before I knew much about mailing lists, I signed on to a
Majordomo and soon decided that I would never again sign up to a
mailing list run on Majordomo: from a subscriber point of view, it
was difficult to use, and the security was abysmal (I started getting
spammed right and left right after I joined that list). It's been
several years, so maybe Majordomo has improved over the years, or
perhaps that particular list was just not set up properly. So, I did
attempt just this past year to sign on to another Majordomo list
thinking that maybe now that I understand lists so much better than
back when I was a newbie, it wouldn't be so bad. I signed on to the
digest version --which requires a different signup, BTW --  and
although the messages included banners telling you how to sign off,
the banners were for the individual subscription, not for the digest
version! Since I am now much more knowledgeable about mailing lists,
I was able to figure out all by myself how to unsubscribe (it just
wasn't worth it to me to try to read the digest without the MIME
digest feature); but I pity anyone who has to administer a Majordomo
list and has to try to explain to digest subscribers that they're not
really signed on to the list that the list messages tell them they're
signed on to. Again, I'm not speaking for L-Soft here... this is my
own opinion... it is mine... (ahem!): I don't even want to be a
subscriber on a majordomo list, let alone try to administer one.

Francoise