Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:29:50 +1000
Hi Euan

>May be the wrong forum but here goes...

Yes, this is the right place!  :)

>I'm new to Listserv, and we habe
>successfully set up Classic 1.8e on our network. I recently made some
>cumstomisations to the standard Mail Templates such as Welcome (just
>changes to the text).
>
>I can see from the documentation just about how to do everything we need,
>but am stuck on one point...how do I configure the list to use or not use
>particular mail templates? For example, at the moment, someone sends a
>subscription request, gets an email back to confirm they want to
subcribe,
>sends that, the list owner gets the subscription request then approves
>it...but no notification is sent to the subscriber to let them know they
>have been added to the list! Ideally, I want to automatically send the
>Welcome text and the Users RefCard out to anyone who is confirmed as a
>subscriber by the list owner.
>
>Any help would be appreciated!

In the scenario you describe above, the new subscriber should be receiving
both the WELCOME and the ADD1 template (which has a further embedded
template called $SIGNUP).

Look in your LISTSERV system log file at the time the Owner added the
subscriber to the list.  There should be entries that looks similar to
this (my e-mail client will wrap these lines so please ignore line
breaks):

15 Dec 2004 02:25:55 Processing file 0087 from [log in to unmask]
15 Dec 2004 02:25:55 From [log in to unmask]: add listname-test
[log in to unmask] User Name pw=XXXX
15 Dec 2004 02:25:55 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]
15 Dec 2004 02:25:55 Sending WELCOME message to [log in to unmask]
15 Dec 2004 02:25:56 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]
15 Dec 2004 02:25:56 To   [log in to unmask]: User Name <[log in to unmask]>
has been added to the (...)
15 Dec 2004 02:25:56 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]

Here you see that the new subscriber is being sent the ADD1 template
('Sent information mail to...') and the WELCOME template ('Sending WELCOME
message to...').  If you're not seeing these then that indicates another
problem.

Alternatively, if the Owner is approving them through the web interface
they do have the option 'Do not notify the user in any way'.  This will
stop any messages from being sent at all.  Check if this option is being
selected or not.

If you want to suppress a template from being sent out, you add the
special characters .QQ to the beginning of it.  This tells LISTSERV 'Do
not process this template any further and don't send it out'.  Example:

>>> ADD1 You have been added to the &LISTNAME list
.QQ
.re owners
&WEEKDAY, &DATE &TIME

You have been added to the &LISTNAME mailing list (&TITLE) by
&MBX(&INVOKER).

.im $SIGNUP

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.