Phil Howard <PHIL@UIUCVMD>
Mon, 11 Aug 86 14:06:21 CDT
Perhaps a new version of LISTSERV could be made to handle lists either
way:
    1.  The mail arrives in a userid's reader the same name as the list
    2.  The name of the list is the PERSONAL NAME in the TO: header.

I see problems with BOTH ways.
    1.  Making userids for all lists starts to become a resource problem.
        There are not that many good names for one topic.  The "-L" suffix
        helps, but limits to 6 characters.
    2.  List servers that operate by using the personal name in the TO: tag
        cannot be "listener mode" satellite servers for UUCP/CSNET type lists
        since those lists retain the ORIGINAL TO: tag, AND the mail to those
        lists is often directed via the CC: tag as well.

        Also, non-mail files cannot be distributed this way.

Ultimately, if we can choose, on a per-list basis of course, which mode a
list is to operate in, either "Personal TO TAG" mode, or "USERID RDR" mode,
or even BOTH for one list, then we can have a little more flexibility.