Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:48:29 EST
There was similar activity at this site, however, many of the LISTSERV
response messages were bounced due to a "mailbox full" condition. I did
some checking and found that clear.net.nz is an ISP in New Zealand, and
[log in to unmask] is the email address for their tech support/help desk
staff. I suspect that all of these SUB and REVIEW requests were forged
with the intention of mail-bombing the ClearNet help desk. I don't know
that for sure, because I don't have any of the original messages with
headers, but that's what it looks like to me.

>Date:    Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:05:10 +0100
>From:    Hans-Ulrich Giese <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: spamming attempt
>
>a user   [log in to unmask]  (and yes it was Bill Clinton) just
>tried to subscribe (and review) all of our lists.
>
>because his requests did not came in directly, but via other listservs
>(as forwards) a 'serve off' doesn't help.
>in addition to this 'serve off' i also added him to the TRAPIN & TRAPOUT
>but still he's getting onto the lists.
>
>-ulrich-
>
>28 Jan 1997 10:07:11 Processing file 3051 from LISTSERV@HEARN
>28 Jan 1997 10:07:11 From [log in to unmask]: X-FOR FWDED=2 hel
>[log in to unmask] review [log in to unmask] by nodeid
>28 Jan 1997 10:07:12 Mailed file "KUNSOFT LIST" to:
>                     > [log in to unmask] (-> LISTMGT@HEARN)
>28 Jan 1997 10:07:12 Sent information mail to:
>                     > [log in to unmask] (-> LISTMGT@HEARN)
>
>note that [log in to unmask] is just one example, the requests are
>coming in also via others.

* Paul Russell * Senior Systems Programmer * University of Notre Dame  *
* Email: [log in to unmask]  *  Web: http://www.nd.edu/~prussell *