Thomas Habernoll <HABERNOL@DB0TUI11>
Wed, 13 Sep 89 03:44:37 +0200
I have discussed this thoroughly with my cat. I told my cat about
the history of Listserv, about the infamous "Earn War", about
the importance of copyrights and politics. I assured my cat
that my heart is full of understanding and thankfullness for
all this wasted time and energy. Then suddenly my cat interrupted
me, and said "B*llsh*t". Now I'm not sure if it is time to look for
a new cat or for a new network.

Cats don't talk? Assume there were a world where it is a huge
problem which site in which part of the network is able / allowed
to run what version of a particular software package, I know, it's
hypothetical, but try real hard to imagine such a world. Don't
you think that cats will talk in such a world?

End of fantasy, back to reality (or was it the other way around?)
Let's try some text analysis.

>-------------- (from Frode Greisen) ------------------------------------
>I'm sorry it took some time to formally treat your proposal. At the
>meeting in the Exec last Friday it was decided not to encourage EARN
>sites to install LISTSERV 1.6 as proposed in your note of July 10.

Huh? Who was proposing to encourage anybody? Most of what happens
is discouraging. But anyway, I think those of us interested in
Listserv 1.6 don't need any further encouragement, they already
have formed their opinion.

>The Exec finds that it is preferable to work for some time according
>to the contract recently signed. I hope you will work with Turgut on
>how best to treat the LISTSERV backbone.

I don't have any problems with this. I'm wishing the Exec much
success in their planned work.

From Frode's letter I see nothing wrong with running 1.6 on Earn
nodes. Nobody expects them to encourage us to install 1.6 after
they have signed the contract for Listearn. The Exec members
have their view of what's best for the network, and I have mine.
Fortunately we are living in (more or less) free countries,
and the ability to live and work together even with differing opinions
is why I prefer being here instead of some miles to the east
(I can see the other part of this divided city (the Realm of
Darkness for hardliners and commie eaters) from my office).

So what's the problem?

I don't consider installing LISTxyz (where xyz is SERV 1.6 or EARN)
a vote for/against anybody. Christian Reichetzeder gave some good
reasons why it makes sense to run 1.6 in Europe. I share his
opinion. At the moment 1.6 and Listearn are compatible enough
to allow a common backbone. To break this compatibility is easy
to achieve. Nevertheless it requires some activity to do so.
There is no necessity to break this worldwide backbone.

  Thomas