David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:54:44 -0400
On 6/20/07, Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 6/19/2007 22:07, David Phillips wrote:
> > On 6/19/07, Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >> What feedback loop options do I need to specify in order to get feedback
> >> loop reports that identify the AOL subscriber who submitted the
> >> complaint?
> >
> > I can't say that this is the ONLY thing that will work, but it works for
> > me.
> >
> > Every AOL member on our lists is set to get their mail with FULL822
> > headers.  I use the quiet option, and set listname FULL822 for all at
> > AOL.
>
> We have tried this. If I recall correctly, this does not work for digest and
> index subscribers, and since it is a user-configurable option, knowledgeable
> users who prefer standard headers can reset their own subscriber options.

I am fairly sure you're correct on all counts, and should have pointed
that out.  I'm fortunate that I only have a few AOL members getting
digest, and I yell at all of them if one reports a digest as spam.
I've also told the AOL members that get individual emails that it is a
requirement that they have FULL822 (unless I personally allow them to
have regular headers).  I do understand that this policy only works
with a very limited number of lists, with relatively few AOL
participants.

> We have also used the passive probing technique that Karen Reznek described
> in an early posting. This has been working reasonably well, so far. I simply
> forward each complaint to the list owner with a request to delete the
> subscriber who submitted the complaint. As long as AOL is going to count each
> complaint against us and is not going to provide us with any means to report
> bogus complaints, I am going to treat every complaint as legitimate.

I'll have to take a look at that again ... it seemed very useful, but
I haven't had time to try it out.

--
David Phillips
Molon Labe !