Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:30:52 -0700
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:56:40 -0500, kos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I (and presumably many other Listserv listowners) have just received a
>communication from a Doug Miller, announcing that Onelist and eGroups have
>merged.

Actually ONEList was guilty of doing much the same thing when they started up a
year or so ago.  Going down the CataList(sm) listing and writing to every
possible  listname-request@hostname  address they can find.  I believe that
L-Soft will be persuing legal remedies.

Unfortunately the  listname-REQUEST@... address cannot be blocked as it must
remain a generic way for list members and potential members to contact the human
List Owner.  8-(

LISTSERV Server admins however CAN do something to prevent this at the server
level to protect List Owners of all the lists on their server(s).

For NT:  add this line to   site.cfg  and stop/restart LISTSERV

 FILTER_ALSO=%FILTER_ALSO% *@egroups.* *@*.egroups.*

For unix platforms add this line to   go.user and stop/restart LISTSERV

 FILTER_ALSO="$FILTER_ALSO *@egroups.* *@*.egroups.*"
 export FILTER_ALSO

I hope this helps...  ;-)